It seems than at Wed, 11 Jul 2007 19:57:01 -0400, Scott wrote:

> My Generac runs at about 63Hz lightly loaded but slows to about 61 Hz with
> about 50% load (like the water heater).  There are instructions for
> adjusting the governor but I haven't done it.  Also, we notice the lights
> get brighter when the water heater clicks off.  This system has a mechanical
> governor for speed and an electronic voltage regulator.  We haven't noticed
> any ill effects except the clocks gain time.  Of course, my PC is on an UPS
> so it would not be effected but the TIVO, TV, etc only have surge protectors
> and they were fine.

Most UPS systems are entirely out of the line _unless_ the
incoming power is lost. Sometimes they include filtering, often
they include some transient protection. Rarely are they
correcting frequency or voltage.

Computers will not really care if the frequency varies - within
reason. They use switching-mode power supplies that usually are
rated for 100-120VAC 50/60Hz. It's not unusual to find one rated
100-240VAC. So in general, as long as the supply power is
_clean_, computers aren't very picky. Monitors can be a whole
different issue.

--         Philip