Ken Rushing wrote:
> I rechecked my compression on my 87 300D Turbo and all six cylinders read 30
> psi lower than when I checked it 3 weeks ago. The only difference is that
> this recent (lower psi) reading was taken while the engine was hot. When I
> did the compression test previously the engine had been sitting cold for
> three days. Is this normal?

I can think of no situation where the compression across 6 cylinders
would drop ~50 psi! Cold compression reading are usually lower and more
variable when the engine is hot. 50 psi difference could be within the
variability of the tool you are using. Are the cylinders all about the same?

I've almost NEVER found a compression test on Mercedes diesels to be
worth the effort. If the car starts well cold, that's about the best
test there is.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.