On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:54:50 -0700 Redghost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think I just hit the need for a garage monkey.
>
> I went back and repositioned the arms on the splines so that they
> line up better and tried to get it matched up with original neutral.
> Might have destroyed it now.
>
> Had it up on jack stands so the rear tires spun free and could not
> get the drive shaft to spin, so with it in "neutral" I started the
> car and slowly let out the clutch.

Bad idea, as you discovered. If the driveshaft won't spin by hand, you
don't have it in neutral. It would have been better if you had stopped and
emailed us with your distress at this point.

> Wheels would not spin and the engine died as if the transmission were
> engaged.  Killed it.

With mis-adjusted shift levers, you can get it into two gears at once.
This, of course, locks the transmission up solid.

> Lit her off again and with clutch in rowed around looking for first
> gear. Think I got it and slowly let out the clutch while giving her
> more fuel. Got the rear wheels to spin, but when I let of the pedal, it
> died again, as if engaging from a stop.

I'm not sure what, "as if engaging from a stop," means.

> Hood was open so I got out and see smoke coming from the
> transmission.  Manual trans, and nasty burnt ATF smell.
>
> How big of a pooch did I screw on this one?

Sounds like you burned the clutch plate and possibly heat damaged the
flywheel and pressure plate. Sorry.

Craig