In a message dated 7/15/2007 12:28:50 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Hi  all,

I'm still here, and the neutral start interlock relay on the 74  2040D
4-speed is misbehaving and the starter can't be engaged.  There is  no audible
click
when neutral is selected like there should be.  The  switch mechanism on the
shifter appears to be ok, that's why I think it's the  relay.  Unlike the 75
W115, there is no relay reset button (that I can  find) in the engine
compartment.  Can anyone tell me how to reset the  relay (and where it is in
case I am
looking at the wrong device) or shunt it  so I can start the car?
TIA, and apologies for never posting anything  except when I have a problem!
I will post the outcome of replacing the  IP on the 82 300CD shortly (good
news story).

Bruce,

The relay on my 74 240D was on the firewall, almost directly above the
starter.  You can pop the cover off and move the contacts manually to  engage
the
starter.  This is a double throw relay and the contacts normally  made feed the
Air Conditioning.  Going to start effectively eliminates the  AC loads during
the starting operation.

Note:  You may also be dealing with the more common problem of the  starter
solenoid hanging up after a heavy heat soak, such as a hard run up the
freeway.  Spritzing the starter with cold water will often let the solenoid
function
again.

Good luck,.

Jim  Friesen