Thanks to Joe's PDF of the lock cylinder removal process on my 97 e320, I
got a little further then before. I am still unable to get the cylinder out
though.

I have the key in position 1, and  made a tool to turn the black cover, but
I can only get it to turn about 45 degrees instead of the 90 needed to
remove it. I put the key in position 2 just to see what would happen, and
the cover turns just as far, so I have a feeling position 1 is not unlocking
something.

Anyone have any ideas?

I also see in the PDF Joe sent me that the say to try lubing the lock
cylinder first - anyone think this might work for me? The no key turning
situation came out of no where, and I use the original keys, not cheap
copies.

Thanks,

Dave Wakin