We need a meand to edit. I forgot to alter the subject heading and I have a
spelling error.

Randy

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of R A Bennell
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:57 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Way too much OT?

I would guess that one of your problems is the scarcity of the manual
transmission models. Most of us have
automatics whether we like it or not.
As such, I at least, can only offer fairly general advice. I have never worked
on the shifter for a manual
transmission in a vehicle such as your have.
My general advice is to be gentle to avoid damaging anything. I do not think
you should have tried it with the
engine running. The drive shaft should turn by hand if you have the rear wheels
lifted off of the ground and the
clutch held down. If you cannot turn the drive shaft by hand, then you should
be able to turn one of the rear
wheels and have someone hold the other so that the drive shaft will turn (again
keep the clutch pedal down to
isolate the engine). Moving the levers on the transmission one way or another
should ultimately tell you when it is
in gear and what gear it is in. There cannot be more than a few available
positions.

One should think you can wiggle and jiggle until it works even if it is a bit
locked at the moment. If you cannot,
then I think I would pull the tranny out of the car and work on it on the
bench. That would give you the
opportunity to look at the clutch after your burning episode.

If you do get it moving without having to tear into the transmission on the
bench, might I suggest you drain the
fluid and have a look at what comes out. Hopefully no metal chunks.

Randy