For what it's worth coming from a relative newbie like me: I think OT
is a good thing.

I realize, though, that it can annoying for those without a system like gmail.

For me, it is very much about commaraderie (sp?) with those who share
similar interests (well at least one interest - I'm not sure how much
I really have in common with most of you you successful old timerss
who know how to work on cars). I have been known to leave notes on
windshields of Benzes telling them about this list. Well, I did this
in SE Minnesota where these Benzes are very rare.

I am this way with my dog interest too - I feel all Doberman owners
have something very strong in common (the trials and tribulations of
trying to live with these hardheaded beasts).

So yes, I probably do need to get a life. In fact I know I do. But I
don't think the OT hurts the list too much.

I strongly recommend just signing up for gmail, and letting the OT
flow! It is really interesting – even helpful at times. How else would
I know that people actually employ goats for weed control?

Brian