This morning's Chicken Wagon update:

I removed the failing odometer from the car.  I looked at putting
cyanoacrylate glue on the shaft, and even tried a bit, but it didn't
want to wick into where it needed to be and tried to sieze the shaft
where it goes through the frame.  Things are just too tight there for
the 'quick fix', I don't know how anybody does it without ruining the
odometer.  Time for Plan B.  I removed the face of the speedometer,
first lifting the needle over the zero stop and ensuring that it
rested on the little mark on the edge of the dial that marks its zero
tension position.  I then used the two-spoons trick to pop off the
needle.  Next I removed the odometer drive shaft entirely, liberating
all the plastic dials.  The pot-metal drive gear (in the non-visible
tenths position) was really quite loose, but sometimes would bind a
bit.  Looking inside the bore of this gear it appears that there might
be a bit of spring wire coiled in there that is supposed to 'bite' on
the shaft.  Anyway, I knurled the shaft where the metal drive gear
seats using a pair of pliers.  One must be very careful not to mar the
shaft where the plastic dial gears are as they must spin freely.
While it was apart I used alcohol and a swab to clean all the dial
faces, the trip odometer was particularly filthy.  I then reassembled
the shaft and dials, which was not easy.  It took a few tries before I
got everything aligned so that it would function and the dials lined
up through the holes in the face.  I added some miles to its reading
to partially compensate for the time it was broken.  I had to tap the
shaft into its final position with a hammer as the knurling made for a
tight fit.  After it was all together it worked freely when driven by
my thumb.  I then reinstalled the speedometer face, put the needle on
the shaft so that it pointed at the resting mark, then lifted it back
over the zero stop.  I then greased the drive gears and put some M1
5W20 on the sleeve bearing.  With this all done I reassembled the
instrument cluster and installed it back in the car.  I also squirted
a bunch of oil down the drive cable.  We'll see how it goes!

> Perhaps the previous owner of the 230TE, that odo came from never used
> the
> reset button, no way of knowing really.

Having just become intimately familiar with the guts of the
offending unit, I can in no way see how resetting the trip
odometer, moving or not, can place any significantly greater
torque on the drive gear.  If it does, the amount is nearly
trivial and the drive gear is already about to fail.  It
takes _considerable_ torque to roll over a bunch of dials
at once, that drive gear is supposed to be _tight_.

-- Jim