Go for it Kevin-sort out the  spare parts later.

The only problem is that my wife and I are living in an apartment with no
place to park vehicles!  The Dodge pickup is hogging the tandem space with
only enough room for a Smart behind it!  I think that I'm going to switch
the truck out with the SD here at the apartment and pull the 220D in behind
it.  The truck is nearly 4' longer than the SD (206" for the SD and 249.7"
for the BEAST!  Either that or I'll have to find a place to store all of the
Mercedes until we find ourselves a house.  Some of the neighborhoods in our
target area have home owner's associations (HOA's) that have "funky" rules
about "unsightly vehicles".  I'm sure that a '72 220D in reasonable
condition wouldn't cause many problems, but any rusty hulk  with the hood
and other parts missing, dirty engine bay,  and being up on jackstands
wouldn't go over too well unless it was contained within a garage.  I guess
we'll see what happens.

Kevin in Portland, OR
1983 300SD 267Ki, Ursula