On a W115 (1976 300D, e.g.) a telltale sign of odometer tampering/switching
is scratches on the wood beneath the cluster.  Usually the idiot PO applies
a screwdriver for leverage to pry out the odometer, slips and scratches the
wood.  It's ugly.  My beautiful red 1976 300D supposedly had 71 k miles but
an analysis of doctored service records showed it was in reality more like
120 k.  Fittingly, I had a series of mechanical failures in the year that I
drove this car, including the AC pulley, vacuum pump, and numerous front end
noise and suspension issues.