Chris,

If you haven't adjusted your ALDA, adjusting it CCW about a turn and a half
will do wonders.  As your SD went higher, the ALDA naturally reduced fuel  to
minimize smoking.  The springs and such have weakened in your injection  pump,
also reducing fuel delivery at any given point, but especially noticeable  in
the power area before boost comes in.  Reducing fuel  reduces power
availability!  Of course, way too much fuel will kill power  too.  But there is
much
room for improvement!

Another problem is that the torque converter stall speed is set so low on
the early turbodiesels that the boost cannot come in until the car is  moving.
On my car the boost is also locked out when the trans is in  low gear.  Both
these problems were corrected by MB when they removed the  low gear protection
circuit in 81, and later loosened up the stall speed about  84 or 85.

 Many years ago we had the same problem with our 79 300SD.  On  the Pikes
Peak road no less.   We could go like hell as long as the  boost was up.  On
the
12 % grade two cars had stopped in opposite  directions, effectively blocking
traffic, and we had to stop.  Ended up  backing down the hill to a flat spot
about 1000 feet back.  Kids were  crying, wife was doing what wives do.  No one
else in the car really wanted  to try it again. When the road was clear, we
went, no problems!

I have since learned to adjust the ALDA, and when my engine was out for
overhaul, I had the local trans shop shim the torque converter for a little
more
stall speed.  I also bypassed the trans protection circuit. Nobody beats me
across the intersection when the light changes, if I don't want them to!

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 267 K miles