> mess like most later GM ac systems that make me ill and angry

Well, got zero satisfaction on that job, but the neighbor's GM
thunder chicken came by today and got juiced.  Unfortunately it
was late in the day and not so hot, maybe 75, but the vent temps
did drop to 38 degrees.  And the gauge set fit on it, at least.

I dropped by McParts to buy a Chilton's (or whatever) if it
covered the 'burb, but the info therein was too rudimentary.
I saw that a later year had two safety switches and a relay,
another switch was added a year or two after that.  But not
worth $20 to have, and besides the vehicle has already left.

-- Jim