Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I didn't have much time this morning, but I managed to remove the
ashtray, console cover, and ACC panel.  Four of the five lamps behind
the panel were burned out.  The ashtray frame retention screw holes
were stripped so I smeared some Shoe Goo into them, I'll redrill pilot
holes when it dries.  One of the screws was missing, I had to dig a
replacement out of the junk box.  The retaining pin for the console
cover is broken off and missing, it was (at one time) stuck down at
the rear with a wad of double-sided foam tape.  I'll have to fabricate
a new pin.  The rubber shift bezel was starting to crack in the
corners so I began gluing it using black weatherstrip cement.  The
console cover itself needs sanding and refinishing, the finish has
started flaking off and the wood has gotten wet and swelled some.  The
wood cover for the ACC panel got its screw retaining blocks broken off
somewhere along the line so I glued them back on.

As I remove panels and trim the car's starting to not look so good,
and it's only going to get worse before it gets better!

...I opened up the ACC pushbutton array, and the solder joints are
indeed bad inside.  In the evening I did some poring over the car's
schematic and augmented the diagnostic checklist to have some test
information for the ACC system used in these cars.  (We currently have
five cars using this particular system, it's about time I made up a
checklist for them.)

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

I resoldered the ACC pushbutton array.  The secret here is to use a
very hot iron on the internal relay pins themselves, these are the
ones that tend to oxidize, break loose, and make bad contact.  The
edge joints that attach the two side boards are also problematic, but
they're easy to resolder with a regular iron.  I sluiced the switches
themselves with contact cleaner and cycled them many times.  I then
liberated a spare high-fan blower button from the junkbox and
installed it in place of the missing button.  I replaced the four
burned-out 2721 bulbs with new ones.  I then ran the appropriate
diagnostic checklist in the car, and discovered that the blower system
was not working.  Nor did it work with the ACC panel installed,
helping to validate the checklist.  I also found that the foam hose to
the cabin temperature sensor was indeed rotted, but that the sensor
itself measured good.  The AC compressor, as expected, also did not
run.

I then reinstalled the repaired ACC panel.  Finally some positive
cosmetic treatment!

On the way to work it became apparent that the heater blower _was_
working properly, and that the checklist was faulty, as was my quick
functional test.  (I'd forgotten the effect of the cold engine lockout
sensor.)  However the vent control wasn't right, all vents operated
all the time.  Could be a vacuum supply problem.  (Let's hope so!)
Bad actuators are no fun to replace in this car.

...At lunch I stopped at McParts and bought some replacement 2721
lamps, and two clearance cans of "Torreador Red" touch-up paint, $3.
The cap was a surprisingly close match, we'll see how it looks in real
life.

Thursday, August 9, 2007

I hooked up the vacuum pump to the feed under the hood and pulled out
the ACC panel again.  Using a test light to power the actuators
(built-in current limiting) I found that the defrost actuator is the
only one that is obviously leaking.  I pulled the instrument cluster
and unhooked the vacuum lines to the defrost actuator and capped them
off.  It looks like it might be possible to replace this actuator
without removing the dash, I may try doing this sometime.  (It won't
be easy, regardless.)

The center vent actuator (a nightmare to replace) actually seemed to
be working properly once the defrost leak was stemmed, but when I
looked down in the center vent I could see that something was wrong.
I pulled off the rubber vent manifold and could then see that the ring
on the flap that the actuator end snaps to had broken and the actuator
was no longer connected.  I cleaned the remains, fabricated a
folded-over piece of thin sheet metal with appropriately-sized holes
drilled in it, and glued this over the stub using Shoe Goo.  I'll let
that set up and then try reattaching the actuator.

Even though the center vent control line is referenced to power and
not ground, if you're doing the testing key-off (as I was) you can
feed positive voltage to it to make it go: the unpowered car circuitry
acts as a virtual ground.  While I was there I figured out what was
wrong with my blower test checklist item.  (You have to jumper _two_
pins, not just one.)  This time it passed!

With all that to the stopping point I got out the rattle-can of
touch-up paint and sprayed some onto a couple of the big missing
chunks.  This was a color test, and it didn't look too bad in the
morning light (shade).  It's a tiny bit redder than it ought to be,
but I think it's going to work out well enough.  I sprayed a bunch
into the cap and used a small strip of sheet metal to dab it onto the
rock chips and etc.  I also dabbed some clear spray onto the scratch
in the clear coat that some kind parking lot-mate gave me recently.
It's lumped up, but less visible than it was.  I'll block-sand it down
flush later once it's dry.

...When I got home from work I popped the cluster out again and
attached the now-dry center vent tab to its actuator using a short
screw and a nut that I dabbed paint into the threads to serve as a
lock.  To improve visibility I removed the center vent eyeballs, that
really eased the job.  When I tested it the tab bound a bit, but a few
licks with a file took off the high corner that was catching on the
air horn.  Works great!  With the eyeballs out I was able to
thoroughly clean the grime and dust off of them, I did the inside of
the center vent air horn too.

I then managed to get the defrost actuator speed nuts off (two of the
three broke) and found that the actuator seems to have come unclipped
from the flaps inside the ductwork!  The original plan was to see if I
could swap the actuator guts with a good used one that I have that has
a twist-lock mount, and failing that I was going to temporarily lock
the flap in the closed position, but there's no point in doing the
former and no way to do the latter.  There's nothing for it except to
pull the dash and open up the heater box.  That is not going to be
fun, I'm not sure when I'll do that.  Not soon.

The rotted foam hose was very exposed at this point, I cut a length of
foam pipe insulation and put it on.  Then I reinstalled the center
vent parts and buttoned up the car.  We're going to be gone for a week
so I enlisted some aid to put the hard top back on.  It doesn't fit
very well, either it or the car itself is deformed.  Probably the top
got dropped at some point, its 'chrome' trim is a bit dinged.  It's
manageable, just not as easy as the other three SL's I have experience
with.  Once it's locked down it's fine.

-- Jim