> That all depends if you are doing your doctorate in something you really
> love and there is a need for. It's a big mountain to climb and unless
> you really love doing IT stuff, you may not make it.
> My Uncle did a PhD in toxicology with emphasis on the blue ring octopus.
> >From memory he was in his fifties (I think he started it in his
> thirties) when he finally presented his paper, however he did it before
> they started changing the Unis to make them more profit orientated.

One of the factors that drove me to stop at a masters was a comment by
a wise department head I was talking to.  He said that he regrets the
shift in academic research (at least in engineering) to grant driven
projects; said that once upon a time a PhD was about a building a
strong mind, whereas now it was simply a matter of having a strong
back.

That said, at the conclusion of my masters defense this May one of my
committee members asked me (and my advisor) why the work I presented
wasn't a for a Ph.D.!  I have no regrets, though.

Tony Wirtel