It seems than at Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:20:04 -0400, archer wrote:

> >> -----------------------------------------------
> >> I have several brands of Winmodem and I'm not sure which brand is in the
> >> computer I'm trying Ubuntu in.  All are 56K dialup accessing an ISP.
> >> When I
> >> tried to set up Red Hat a few years ago, it wouldn't recognize my
> >> Winmodem;
> >> it said I needed a standard modem which cost about $80 back then.  Since
> >> then I've heard that quite a few distributions do recognize Windmodems.
> > Winmodems are dicey. It all depends on the chipset. Some work,
> > quick and easy. Others require compiling a driver. Some don't
> > work at all.
> > Lots more info at:
> > http://www.linmodems.org/

> Thanks, Phillip.
> That IBM PCI modem at Eagle is only $17.40, so I might order it.  I also
> remembered buying a modem on a sale table at some store.  It's a V-92 (or
> less) controllerless 56K (Stratitec) modem which requires Windows 98 or
> later, or "Linux 2.4 kernel" or later.  I'll stick that in a computer and
> see if it will work with Ubuntu, Knoppix, or DSL.  That's the only modem
> I've seen that mentions Linux.

Shipping is like $10, so find some others stuff to order with
it. *smile*

If you have a winmodem, stick it in and run the script that
linmodem.org has. It will poke around and figure out what you
have and what is needed - and if it's a hopeless case.

And if you have more questions, stop on by Kaleb's
Linux/Mercedes/off-topic list. It's much, much, slower than this
one. Those of us that muck about with real operating systems
hang out over there.

--       Philip