Bill R. wrote:

"Don - You are selling your car and your house ... did your wife lose
her red slippers?"

Well, the car, as you know, has been for sale for a while. It is still
for sale, but I have been doing much to get it sold.  It drives great,
runs great, still looks good and is comfortable.  I let my autotrader ad
expire and I have not done anything else to sell it.  The reason the
house is for sale is because of a mistake.  We live in a really
interesting neighborhood called College Hill. All of the houses are old.
The trees are large and many of the streets are cobblestone. A lot of
the houses have old carriage houses for garages and the houses all have
lots of character.  Some people would say that it is for the rich and
snobby people. What they don't realize is that the neighborhood is not
just for Rich people (because I am NOT rich - maybe once I get my damn
student loans paid off I will be closer).  The houses in the
neighborhood range from $1.5 Million to less than $100,000.  That is one
thing that is very interesting about it.  The $1.5 Million house is only
2 blocks east and 2 blocks south of my house.  But, my house is only
$160,000.   at any rate, my wife and I were bored one Sunday afternoon
and it was beautiful outside, so we decided to go for a drive. We
noticed that a couple of houses in College Hill were having an Open
House.  So, we went and looked. Now, we didn't look at the $500,000
house that we couldn't afford, we looked at one that was actually pretty
reasonable.  We thought it was too expensive and therefore no danger in
looking at it.  That night we actually put pen to paper and determined
that we could afford the house. In fact, between what we paid for the
mortgage and the home equity loan - we were paying for a much nicer
house.  So, we talked to realtor and she told us how much we could get
for our house.  We took the plunge and put it on the market.  In the
interim we decided against the against the house that had originally
inspired us to sell our house.  We are still looking for our next house.
Now, is not a good time to be selling the market is very slow. So, if it
doesn't sell that is okay we love the house and we can wait until the
market is better.

The frustrating thing is we have had TONS of people looking at the
house. We have had appointments almost everyday for the 40 days it has
been on the market.  But, despite all the activity it has not sold.

Here is the listing for our house:

http://www.wichitalistings.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=22135
2&PRM_MlsName=wichitaKS#
<http://www.wichitalistings.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MLSNumber=2213