As a former (20+ years) standby/prime power generator
and control guy, I left this as basic as I could.  One
of the things that often made us crazy was when specs
for windings were published since the questionable
accuracy of most end user's test equipment made it
impossible for them to measure such a low value.  As a
result, you tell them the windings should have 0.2
ohms resistance and they hook up their Radio Shack VOM
to it, there is no way they will ever see that value.
After all, who carries a Wheatstone bridge around with
them?

Then it's the "It must be bad!" assumption, which is
almost always wrong.  They buy a new part, put it in,
and it still doesn't work.  Now you're the bad guy.

Few people understand that meter accuracy is a
percentage of the range, so when you're waaaaay down
at the bottom of the range you're probably so far out
of the percentage of accuracy it's not funny.

For the most part, simple continuity tests on these
sorts of windings will tell you whether or not they're
good or bad.  Want some real fun?

Get out the megger!  Whoopee!

Dan

--- Tom Hargrave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The stator has three wires. You should be able to
> measure a very, very
> small resistance between the three if your VM is
> sensitive enough and
> none should have any electrical connection to the
> stator body.
>
> Stator failures consist of an open winding, a
> shorted winding, (more
> common) a short to ground (the stator body) or an
> open lead. Of the
> four, only the third & fourth can be detected with a
> ohm-meter because
> the winding resistance is too low.
>
> The rotor has two wires, same as above.
>
> Rotor failures consist of an open winding and a
> short to ground (the
> stator body) and both can be detected with a
> ohm-meter.
>
> All measurements are taken with the wires
> disconnected
>
> Tom
> www.kegkits.com

that gives answers, not web links.