I think most companies that were able, made some supplies for the war.  Many
made the .45, including Singer, the sewing machine company.  I also helped
work on restoring a plane that had V12 Merlins made by Maytag, the washing
machine company. hee hee.  I think Packard made them too, and the word was,
the Packards were better.

I would like to add one quick word on guns.  Up here in the north, we are
not allowed to keep guns for home or personal defence.  However, most ppl
here that do belong to handgun clubs, you will find "in general" have an
interest in mechanical things, and it's not unusual to talk to those in
clubs and they also have an interest in other mechanical things.  Another
very commom interest for those into handguns here are cameras, the older pre
digital ones.  I have always enjoyed guns for their craftsmanship and fine
mechanical engineering.  It is amazing to think that a gun, will shoot
thousands of rounds, under huge pressures, and will do so for decades, with
very very few failures.  Ofcourse, this is very different to the discussion
on weapons for self and home defence, of which I also have opinions, but I'm
sure no one really cares about one way or the other. :-)

Ed
300E