The reason you don't see the high RPM is because the tranny is
determining engine idle, in this type of situation the car can still be
driven but it is advisable to shift into N but not P while stationary
and shift into gear with your foot off the brake, which puts less strain
on the drive train. Coming to a stop put the box into N before braking.