Can you pull a leg of panty hose over the housing for a pre filter?
Use the No Nonsense $2 kind from Wal Mart, which come in sizes.
Hold on with zip tie if appropriate.

That's an old dirt track racer's trick.  Keeps the big stuff out for sure,
and catches and holds lots of dust.  Cheap and effective.

You can also clean the paper filter elements by gently tapping them
out.  Compressed air may blow a hole in the element.