--- Craig McCluskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I found out more information from my neighbor,

> Is this the correct one? He says that the Dragon
> software costs $10.

Yup.  Pioneer DVR-112D.  Dual layer DVD drive, all you
would ever need for this machine.  Do the Dragon Burn
software, too.  A good deal for $10.

> "About this Mac" says,
>
>    MAC OS X
>    Version 10.1
>    Memory 896 MB
>    Processor Power PC G4
>
> He asks, "The Power PC G4 processor has a speed of
> 1.0 GHz. A replacement
> 1.6 GHz would cost about $250. Would this be
> useful?"

Absolutely not.  Sounds like he's got a later model
Quicksilver or a MDD (mirrored drive door) G4, both of
which are very competent machines, even today.  With
OS X 10.4 or higher, he'll be able to do just about
anything that can be tossed at him.  The processor
upgrade would be a waste of money, unless he's
planning on some serious processor intensive stuff,
like video rendering.

> He does have the DVD of the latest rev. of the OS
> (which was why the
> question about changing to a DVD drive).

If he's impatient and can get his hands on an external
optical firewire drive, he could go ahead and install
the newer OS.  I did this on my Quicksilver to get
things going until my Pioneer DVD drive came in from
OWC.

MacDan

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.