I don't know specifically about the 126, but on the 123 the thing slides
down the hole in the fender well (I had to ream mine out slightly) and
the plates slide in the spring coils down/up as far as you can get them,
then screw it together and start cranking on the screw to compress the
spring.  All with proper respects of course to the energy stored in that
compressed spring.

--R