It was a more cosmetic than actual needed repair.  The manual shift
was sloppy, the bushings at the trans were dead, so I put new ones
in.  Screwed up the engagement of gears and seem to have locked it.

To prevent repeats, I will now take car and idiot self to BiL who
earns a living mechanically, and we will have oversight as I screw
things up.  He will then step forward to apply corrective whacks with
snap on tools upside my head so that I cease further work.  Then we
will figure out how to unfornicate the mess I made so as not to
require expensive visits to AAA shop

--
Clay
Seattle Bioburner