But the problem is that these dealers represent VW (and other car
makers) and the way they treat their customers reflects on the brand as
a whole and as such I would think that in their franchise agreement that
there would be minimum performance standards that have to be met.
Also I think it is BS that they have no way of influencing the dealers,
what about withdrawing the right to sell their cars?
They are doing themselves no favors, it is just as easy to write a
letter saying that they care very much about their customers and
potential customers and will make every effort to rectify the situation.
Whether they do or not does not matter, it is the perception that they
care that is important. Just to say "there is nothing we can do, so why
don't you get stuffed" is not a way of building brand loyalty.
We all know that MB dealers can be so so and some will judge you on how
you look but VW used to be the peoples car.