There was a nice half page article about the decline of the hunter
population and how that is forcing the state wildlife agencies to
suffer underfunding due to decrease in hunter fees.  Since the
agencies are supposed to manage the wildlife, they no longer have the
funds, since all the liberal wienies are against hunting.  Also noted
that so many urbanized families no longer have hunters who can bring
up the next generation of hunters, so less cash for the agencies to
spend on helping the animals the hunters went after.  Vicious cycle
because the hunters funded the same conservation efforts much more
effectively than the anti hunters ever could but demanded they be
funded.

Which leads to man no longer interacting with animals in a natural
setting, the animals being acclimated to once more running rampant
and populations of prey being unbalanced.  Which is good for the sale
of ungulate be-gone or deterrents.  These keep the pests that were
once food from getting into the greenies gardens and munching
veggies.  Since no hunters are allowed access, there are fewer
hunters, and populations grow into former wildlife areas.  Prey
species explode, and predator species grow with them.  Attacking
small pets, children, bicyclist, and other recreational users.

If we had more hunters there would be fewer problems.  Or as my BiL
found out yesterday, the hunter can become the hunted really
quickly.  He was out in a great little area we found over the weekend
for bagging a deer.  Archery season and we were bummed that the deer
were just not to be found as easily as before.  He was in wait for a
deer, when he became the stalkee of a cougar.  Lucky for him he was
able to draw on it and there was a cougar wandering about with an
arrow for a day.  Mr. Puma was a bit too good at finding a place to
pass on, and has not been found.

On 2 Sep 2007, at 13:01, billr wrote:

> We have been over this territory about a year ago, but I'll jump in
> here this time. In general you make some good points.  For
> population discussions you need to remember that in areas with no
> social safety net children are the only answer to watching yourself
> starve to death when you can't grow your own food due to age,
> illness or weather.  In terms of the latter, you might also lose a
> few of the children.  Given such choices, and knowing all the girls
> would be moving to another home and at least some of the boys would
> die as infants or children would you chose to have only one or two
> children?  10 kids = 5 of each, and the girls will leave = 5 boys,
> with perhaps two dying prior to being able to farm.  3 is a 'safe'
> number as long as there is no warfare and they are willing to stay
> on the farm instead of moving to the city [doesn't happen much
> anymore].  Prior to suggesting controls on those who have so many
> children make sure you would be willing to starve and watch your
> spouse starve in order to keep the population low.  I'll forgo
> comments on the state of medical care in the 2/3rds of the world
> that is poor, or the economic history of such regions, but you are
> certainly correct that it is the relative inequity of access to
> resources and lifestyle that feed the problem.
> BillR
> Jacksonville FL

>>> come

--