Robert wrote:

"The  old 'merican stuff  was usually way overbuilt and could be made to

do much more with very little effort. Ah for the days before  computer

designing.

Drag and weight  only slow you down if you haven't got enough power."

I agree with that!  I had a 1973 Pontiac Grand Am with a 400 4 barrel
when I was 17.   Now those that don't know a Grand Am back in the day
was a cool car, it was not a small little commuter car built cheaply to
sell to rental companies.  It was a big coupe with a monster engine.
Without any modifications, the 400 was faster than the 455 found in the
Trans Am (although I wanted - and still want - a 1979 TA with the 6.6
engine and the crazy chicken on the hood.  That old Grand Am would go
150 without much trouble - except it took FOREVER to slow down.  I loved
that old car. GM was preparing for the Bicentennial and many of the
grand am came in White with a red interior. It had red and blue
pinstriping.   When that four barrel opened up you could hear the gas
sucking into that engine and you better hold on.  The 400 had loads of
torque and it could make that two ton boat really fly.

Donald H. Snook

1990 300SEL 140K (For Sale)