OK Don:

Here is what I remember about the T-34 (circa 1981):

1. It was designed with the foreknowledge that 22 year old kids were going
to abuse it while they tried to become fighter pilots. They were going to
pretend they were in an Phantom when in fact they were in a trainer. The
T-34 had to be like a patient big brother.

2. It was a very easy aircraft to understand. The most complicated aspect
was the avionics, but given that I was an E-6 avionics tech and the shop
supervisor when I shipped out for OCS, that (including the IFR stuff) was
the most familiar to me. I was flying ILS approaches while the instructor
thought I was VFR and had great eyeballs.

3. It was an easy aircraft to fly. Left hand pushed a handle forward to go
faster or pulled back to slow down. No magnetos, no throttle, no mixtures,
no supercharger. Almost a real-time video game.

4. It was forgiving. A Marine Captain F-4 stick flight instructor was trying
to make me do "carrier landings" and we pegged the G'meter at 4 on landing.
Didn't break the plane at all -- a mandatory inspection and it was back in
the air 15 minutes later.

5. In stall, it was as violent as a Cessna 150. Slight shake, nose falls
thru, stick forward to pickup airspeed, and you are on your way.

6. It spun like a roller coaster -- very predictable and very responsive to
control input in dead air. Off-wing instructor taught me to kick violent
right rudder as the nose dropped in a stall, and the aircraft would go
inverted. LOVED IT.

In short, this was an aircraft designed for hotdogs upon whom the Navy had
spent big bucks at Annapolis. It was designed from day one to turn Corvette
and Porsche drivers into fighter pilots as efficiently as possible, without
killing them in the process. It flew like a jet (so I was told by fighter
pilots), it handled like a jet, it did maneuvers like an Phantom, and it was
a hell of a lot of fun to drive around the sky.

Would I like to own one? Yes. Could I afford to own one? No way.

--
LT Don
http://don.homelinux.net/~don/

Make a small loan, Make a big difference - Kiva.org