>   The labor for this thing is 3 hours, plus the cost of the
> evacuation, and filling up with 3 lbs of refrigerant.

For the price you were quoted you could remove it yourself and take
it to a hose shop for another (proper) rebuild, and _buy_ all the
AC tools, and supplies, to do it yourself.  And still have enough
left over to supply yourself with beer for the session and go out
to a celebratory dinner afterwards.

That's what I did.  And never regretted it!  The AC tools have
come in handy innumerable times since.  I can't even calculate
how much money I _haven't_ spent in order to have usable AC in
_all_ of our cars so-equipped.

It'll be hard to sell a car for a decent price with a leaking AC,
you should fix it first.  And once it's fixed, why sell it?

-- Jim