Ernest,
  A lot of the things that I replaced were the result of "new owner excitement
syndrome."  For example, I replaced the shocks and the seat cushions because I
figured they must have been out with time. The only  problems that I
encountered were leaking oil cooler,  faltering alt with the symptom of
headlight dimming intermittently, leaking front crank seal, and malfunctioning
climate control panel.  Since I was there taking the oil cooler out, I replaced
the radiator, hoses, thermostats, and belts, one again figuring that the car is
1983, and there ought to have been some wear and tear on these items.
  The PO spent a lot of money on this car, too, with all the receipts, etc.  He
did have a lousy indy for the last 3 years of his experience, though.  This guy
replaced the front crank seal only 1 year before it started leaking again.
  My indy sais the compressor is still good. Is there a way to prognosticate on
compressor, dryer, etc?
  Davud
ernest breakfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  David,

consider what you could buy to replace it with; even though what
you've got now isn't exactly a low-mileage example, certainly it would
cost more to buy something else comparable than it will cost to repair
what you have now, and there's no guarantee you wouldn't have the issues
with the new one. (FWIW, i also just went through several hundred
dollars worth of work on the AC in mine as a result of poor work done by
a PO; AC is a life-support requirement for us where we live and travel,
it's not 'optional'. although your repair estimate sounds high, also
consider that if the AC needs repair and isn't attended to promptly,
it's likely to have parts dry out and it will require more to properly
repair the system than the vehicle could be sold for. because of these
things, i, for one, wouldn't consider buying a vehicle without working AC.)
if the core of the vehicle is in good shape
(body/chassis/driveline), if it were me, i'd stick with what you've
got... although if you really *needed* to replace all the things you
listed, i have to wonder how good a condition the vehicle was/is in.
(things like shocks, tires, headlights and windshields can't be counted,
as they're somewhat 'wear' items, and would be consumables that would
eventually require replacement on any vehicle.)