Robert,
  Thanks for your advice.
  I'll check with the local shop.  What kills me is the labotr to evacuate the
R12 and to put the new hose on is listed as 3 hours by the book, plus 3 lbs of
the R12.
  It's a slow leak, with drops of dye-colored fluid coming out right where the
crimp fitting is.
  David

Robert & Tara Ludwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  If it's just leaking around the crimp, there's no reason that you
couldn't get a new piece of rubber put on your assembly for $20-40 .
About the only time that you can't is if the metal part is pitted ( not
likely with the car being in that climate all it's life ) or if the
previous repair involved welding new metal ends on ( it would be
noticeable ), if not, with the assembly off, you could send the hose out
for new rubber instead of a $300 new assembly. If you were closer, I'd
say bring it by and I'll put a new chunk of rubber on it, but the
shipping both ways would probably be more than taking it to a local hose
shop and I'd be willing to bet there are a number of shops there that
will fix that hose. If you look in the yellow pages under hoses, you
should be able to find a hydraulic hose shop that also does AC hose.

If having a shop do it all, they should be willing to send the hose out,
there;'s nothing wrong with old assemblies with new rubber.
If it's all leaked out already, you could yank the hose yourself and
take it to a hose shop, then pop it back on along with a new drier ,
and then take it in to get vacuumed and recharged for a heck of a lot
less than $800.

This is assuming that the leak is that fast. How long did it take to
leak out and is it still R12 or has it been switched to R134a. If it's a
very slow leak and it's still r12, you can go to http://www.epatest.com/
and take the test ( it's an open book test online, if you've got any
smarts at all, you can pass it ) and you can then buy individual cans of
R12 and top it off. If it's R134a and a slow leak, that ones a no
brainer, you can get that at the local parts store and top it off.

If you sell it and buy a new car, you'll be begging for the days that
you were only faced with an $800 repair bill. My Mother bought a new
Toyota Camry that's still under warranty, and every time it goes in for
scheduled service, it comes out with a bill for between $500-1500 for
non covered items, and this is all on top of car payments. Newer cars
rarely make it out of a shop for under a grand these days. We have a
habit of getting rather spoiled with our old European cars and whining
about what are basically cheap repairs by modern car standards.

I've got one lady with a '90 volvo who is facing about a $800 bill for a
window regulator , timing belts and idlers, water pump and a few other
regular maintenance items. He husband wants her to sell the thing and
buy a new car because it's going to cost so much. Over the last 5 years
she's averaged ( including the ones needed) about $600 a year upkeep to
own that car ( that includes a seriously overpriced repair done by
someone else before she found me ) She'll spend more than that on 2
months payments and the difference in her insurance premium for a new
car over that time if she goes that route, and that's before new car
maintenance expense so they'll be in for a rude awakening .

Something to think about.

------Robert