Sat, 08 Sep 2007 07:02:15 -0400
Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
Subject: Re: [MBZ] populations discussion now killer Farmers

Allan Streib wrote:
> When we sold our first house with a realtor we saw him when we signed
> the listing agreement and not again until he stopped by at the closing
> to pick up his check. He did nothing that I could tell to market the
> house beyond entering it into the MLS, which is really the only thing
> you can't do as a FSBO.

Mitch wrote

There are realtors like that. I have three answers:

1) If that's good enough, there are services which charge you a flat fee
($150-500) to put your listing on MLS. Unfortunately, the two in my area
charge $300-400 PLUS a percentage of the final deal. They do provide you
with signs, brochure tube, and a certain number of printed brochures. It's
wanting a commission for admittedly doing no work that kills the deal for
me.

2) Interview three listing agents, and check their references. Not 100%,
but it helps.

3) Never, ever, sign a listing over 90 days. Let them know that if you
think they are doing their job, you will renew until sold. Getting locked
in with a loser for 90 days is plenty bad enough, 180 days will leave
you tearing your hair out.

Mitch.

Robert Bigham [EMAIL PROTECTED] sez this:

A realtor at mininum knows the way through the process and what it
takes to make it go at every point.  That can be worth a lot.  They
also can be the prospective buyer's eyes and ears searching, looking,
and listening for the right property to come on the marker.  That can
also be worth a lot.  For sellers, they know or should know the market.
That is also worth a lot.

There are good hard working ones, lazy ones, incompetent ones,
crooked ones, and good lucky ones.  Most are trying to make a
living without getting their hands dirty or slaving away all day every
day at some drone job. They live by their wits. Some do very well
indeed; some get by and that's about all.  The best ones stick with
it and prosper in almost all cases.

The first homestead house I bought I made a handshake deal with
the owner; no realtor was involved, only two lawyers who each and
collectively did almost nothing.  There was no title insurance policy,
no closing and no settling of accounts.  When I called one of the
lawyers to ask about my excess earnest money, he feigned
ignorance.  It cost me about $1,000 to learn in that case.

I later got a a realtor to find and help me buy a rent house.  We
searched for several months before finding the right location,
price, and terms.  She and I looked at OMG how many
houses.  Her rate of pay was sub-minimum wage on that
deal.

When I sold the first homestead house, I listed it with that
same realtor, who had a prospect waiting in the wings to
buy the house I wanted to sell.  It took maybe a week to
make a deal.  Her rate of pay was very high on that deal.

The second homestead house was searched for like the
rent house.  We wanted features, space, and most important
a good assumable note. Interest rates on home mortgages
were about 15% then.

We earlier actually applied for a mortgage that would have been
17% on the perfect house, which mercifully fell through.
We would have had to get paper routes to help pay that note.
Work about 12-14 hr/day.  How long would that have lasted?
Dunno.

That owner did not really want to sell, but only wanted to
find out what people would pay for the house.  On the
second homestead house, our first offer was shot down
by a better (on its face) offer, which, unbeknownst to us,
was not real, but only a way to get occupancy of the house
by a mob of people coming from another state where
there was a worse recession.

Six months later the owner, who did not have a high
reading on the clue meter, figured out what was going
on, and kicked out the occupants, who were only
renting. The realtor was on the phone soon, telling
me that house was back on the market.  This time
we got it and its beautiful 10.5% assumable mortgage.
The realtor's rate of pay was OK but not outstanding on
that deal.  We saved roughly $4.8K a year in interest
because we assumed the existing note instead of making
a new one.  For a while I had two house notes and a
bridge note. I had a super banker too.  I still own that
house, having paid it off in the 1990's.

I learned enough to help my son through a buying experience
in the late 1990's and saved about $5K for him without
considering how much the sellers left lying on the table -
which a good realtor could have got for them.  But their
heads (actually, the wife's head; the poor husband was big
time henpecked) were too hard to see if they could be
helped by a realtor.

Dealing with a good realtor has undoubtedly saved me
tens of thousands of dollars over the years.

Dealing with a bad one?  You don't want to go there.