I'm getting real tired of the door panels being off, as a result the
car looks pretty crappy inside and my wife isn't all that interested
in riding in it that way.  (My five-year-old son doesn't much care.)
They've been off for more than two weeks and the only thing keeping
them off now is the missing door lock knob.  It looks like another
knob assembly will run at least $70, I think it's time to start
fabricating.

I went to the car and liberated the good locking handle to serve as a
pattern.  I then got out a scrap of thick-wall 3" muffler pipe and cut
out a strip, extra long and wide, to become the handle.  The material
is thinner than the plastic handle, but it's a lot stronger!  The
curve of the pipe gives an approximation of the shaped plastic handle.
I got a piece of thick strapping, extra long, and welded it to the
inside of the handle to make the lever part.  It made a nice big T.
The strap wasn't quite thick enough so I ran a bead across one side
the length of the lever then ground it more-or-less flat.  The extra
length of strap makes a nice handle for use while working up the
piece.  I drilled the two holes in the lever, then started grinding
away the excess strap to shape the lever.  Once that was approximately
right I started shaping the handle part, grinding off the excess, etc.
I went slow, and held it up often to compare with the pattern by eye.
Once it was the right size I started shaping the edges and taking off
the sharp and rough patches.  The handle didn't end up an exact match
to the original, but I believe it is good enough.  I'm quite pleased.

I then went to the car and liberated the bad locking handle to see if
it fit.  I needed to do a bit more grinding on the lever part to get
it to fit into the handle assembly and have the correct range of
motion.  With that done I painted it with primer and then black
paint.  I used the shop oven at 200 degrees F to speed drying.  I
also made sure the handle fit through the trim piece.

I then put the handles back together and into the car.  Finally!
It looks good, and works great.

All that's left is to put the doors back together.  They need new
plastic moisture barriers.  Oh, and I also need to test the keyless
actuator to make sure it's OK.  However, there's no time to do any of
that today.

-- Jim