Of course, if it's still dark outside I can't do those other tasks,
so if I'm up at 4 AM I can justify working on the car, right?
Time to check the Bucket-O-Death.

It's done a fine job on the part that fit into the bucket.  But the
grille is large and looks like it needs about four treatments.  The
other end can go into the bucket and won't need long to treat, but
there is some rust inside along the top and bottom.  I think I can
just lay the grille on its face and fill the channels with electrolyte
and suspend sacrificial anode wire in them.  We'll see.  I put the
other end of the grille into the bucket for now, we'll deal with the
middle parts later.

I put some metallic gray paint on the glued cracks in the plastic
grille pieces.  That disguises them a bit.

Still dark outside.  I went to the car and tested the kickdown
solenoid (using the handy new Harbor Freight meter), which can be
diagnosed from the (still-exposed) fuel pump relay socket.  When
actuated it measures about 15 ohms from pin 87k to 31 and
infinity when not actuated, which sounds about right, and
when the meter is connected on the 10A scale between pins 87k and 30
it records 870mA when actuated and you can hear a quiet 'click' from
the transmission.  If the fuel pump relay is enabling the 87k output
and the kickdown switch isn't working there's nothing to blame except
the transmission itself.  (The handy new cheap meter is very slow to
react, unlike the decidedly not-cheap Fluke that I usually use.)

So I got some phone wire and lassoed pins 31 and 87k of the fuel pump
relay and plugged the it back in.  I hooked the voltmeter to the wires
and started the car.  It measured power, and when I poked the kickdown
switch with my toe I could see the voltage drop a few hundred
millivolts indicating that the solenoid was drawing current.  Well, if
it's not doing what I expect (forcing a downshift from 2-1 when I poke
the switch with my toe) either the tranny is ill or it's not
_supposed_ to do that.  (This trick does work on everything
else I've tried it on, but MB has incorporated a lot of minor
variations into their various transmissions.)  I'll test it again on
the road this morning, but most likely I'm done with this.

Oh look, it's light.  Time to do something else.

-- Jim