From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of archer
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:39 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Strange stub axle problem

When I greased the front wheel bearings on the '83 300D the new bearing
would not go on.  There was a ridge next to where the bearing inner race
seated.  I sanded the ridge as much as I dared with emery cloth but the new
bearing would still not go and I didn't want to try and drive it on.  I took

the new bearing back and got another new bearing, thinking the first one
might be off-dimension but it wouldn't go on either.
In desperation I went across the street to Autozone, thinking they might
have foreign bearing with less precise dimensions, and got a Chinese bearing

which went on with no problem.  That was about 8 years ago and the Chinese
bearing has caused no problems.

I've often wondered how that ridge around the stub axle formed.  I didn't
think high strength steel such as is used in stub axles is malleable/plastic

enough for a frozen bearing to create a ridge without it being raised to a
temperature up in the 2000 degreeF range.  That is pretty much true when
working with a forge.  High strength steel has to be a dull shade of red
before it can be shaped.   It would seem that such a temperature would make
the stub axle unusable.  Comment?
Gerry