That's what I am thinking over.  IIRC a rebuild would be @$2800.  My car is
decent, good interior, and even though I like it, all the parts are old. There
is a 1987 300SDL in Miami for a 'buy it now' of around $6,500, with 167k on the
odo.  If I could negotiate to buy that for about 2x the cost of a rebuild I'd
think very hard about that.  If this turns out to be a low $ fixable problem
with my 300SD I'm happy with that.
BillR