From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of billr
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 9:02 AM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: [MBZ] transmission toasted? 1981 300SD

Final checks are being done at the moment by my mechanic, but initial
indications are that my transmission may be shot.  It has been giving some
problems for a few months, most notably on my recent trip to VA it quit
shifting into 4th, then wouldn't go into 3rd.  Checked all vacuum
connections but found nothing, then was fine from SC to VA and back to SC
then home to Jax.  Mostly it has just exhibited a slight flare from 2 - 3,
getting a bit worse over the last couple of weeks.  Last night I stopped in
to get a bottle of Techron concentrate and when I tried to leave the parking
lot nothing would engage at all.  Mechanic reattached the linkage this
morning, but it still will not go into gear. Thoughts on this problem;
Thoughts on rebuild vs. finding a used one if this one is gone?
Thanks in advance - BillR
Jacksonville FL
1981 300SD  295k miles