> Your Kohler is a 45R, which is a 45kW inherently
> regulated model.  No voltage regulator - the windings
> are designed to do all the dirty work.  It does, in

It does have a voltage regulator, a Regohm unit.
There is an option for a bypass switch, so you may
be right about its ability to run without a regulator
with just a rheostat, though this unit has the regulator.
Getting information about this generator has so far
proven nearly impossible.  The tattered schematic inside
the lid is just about all there is.  All Kohler could do
was fax me a worse copy than I already had.

> fact, crank from a special winding within the
> exciter,but in order to do this, it has to have a
> series-parallel battery setup to provide adequate
> current to the exciter cranking windings.

It's a straight 24V battery bank.  It draws some
300A to crank over, pretty much like the usual
reduction starter (such as the mystery Lucas/Bendix
starter that was sitting on top of it) except for
the 2x voltage.  I think the system is pretty slick.
Very smooth and quiet, the motor just starts turning
without any grinding, whining, etc.  Thub-thub-thub...

> The Hercules (later known as White-Hercules) engine on
> this model is built like a brick doghouse, and would
> be comparable as far as reliability to a 617 diesel.
> Hercules engines were used for many years in the
> industrial field, as well as in Jeeps during WWII.

It impressed me with its stoutness.  And surely is a
heavy beast!  Didn't seem to be able to withstand
frozen water in the block, or rain down its neck.
Imagine that!

> Despite having electric heat, that unit should have no
> problem taking on your whole house as a load.

Yes, it's the application that is the problem.  The
Kohler is 3-phase, the house is not.  The resistance
banks (5?) in the furnace could be rewired to delta,
and at 208 volts it wouldn't draw the full rating
so the entire house could probably run on it.  (That
is, everything lit at once.)  But getting it _wired_
to run on 3-phase would be a major problem.  Right
now I just have it wired zig-zag with your basic
back-feed 50A dryer cable.  A long ways from the 200A
equivalent service it could provide.

And we don't have propane here, so fueling it is an
issue at the moment.  I've not run it for very long
yet, it looks _hungry_ and all I have is 5- and
10-gallon bottles.

> Why there would have been a bendix starter on it I
> have no idea.  Since it was a GSA unit, there is a
> remote possibility that it was added on as an option,
> which would be noted by the option codes on the
> nameplate.

No, somebody used the genny as a handy table and forgot
that the starter didn't belong there.  There are no teeth
on the flywheel!

> Now all you need is an automatic transfer switch...

I bought a pallet-load of old ones, also from GSA.  One
400A one is interesting, same vintage as the genny and
also built like a brick.

-- Jim