I have a 1993 300E 2.8 with about 122,000 miles on it.  It recently went for
NJ emissions testing and failed.  My HC tested at 150 instead of 100.  I am
told that the cause of this is not the normal tune up but rather that
something is defective.  the car had a tune up in the last 12,000 miles and
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  Also want to mention that
for the first 30 seconds or so I get a "tistt, tistt" sound from the air
pump.  After 20 -30 seconds it just stops making the noise.   It is not a
gradual fade but an instant turn off of the noise.  I'm not sure if one is
related to the other.  Robb T. South Jersey