Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:15:16 -0500
 tom savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote
Subject: [MBZ] Quick Mercedes trivia questions

I'm helping someone compose the Mercedes Story for children and she's
got me stumped on a couple of points:

When did seat belts become standard in Mercedes? 1964? And is it true
that MB was the first carmaker to install them as standard equipment?
(Besides Tucker, I mean.)

Appreciate any insight,
Tom

I don't know about Mercedes.

Seat belts became standard on Fords for production or delivery
beginnning January 1, 1964, no doubt because of Federal Law.

I ordered a new 1964 Ford delivered in December 1963 and had
to pay extra for belts.  If I had waited until after January 1, the belts
would have come standard, along with snazzy plastic boots on the
anchorage end of the belts.

I was unable to buy the plastic boots for my belts, and had problems
with the metal on the end of the belts lying sideways and getting hit
by the door panel when I closed the door.  Hard on door panels.

If Mercedes made belts standard in 1964, it's like the 95 year old man
who married the 20 yr old girl: Not because he wanted to, because he
had to.

Hochachtunsvoll.