From: Rick Knoble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 09/15/07 03:30 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Transmission toasted: jackleg mechanics
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> I think that there is hope - todays kids seem drawn to cars the way many
of
> us were in the 50s and 60s.  They do much of their own work and understand

> how their cars work.
>
> Although it seems a lot of kids are unwilling to choose this line of work.

> A local community college president related this story - a local Ford
dealer
> told the Pres he would hire any students graduating from the CCs auto
> technology program at a starting salary of $50K /yr. This was 5 years ago
so
> I suspect it has gone up.  Sadly there were few takers.
>
> Oh well, life goes on --

My 14 y/o son wants to go into a mechanical or electrical trade when he
graduates high school. I have no problem with that, however I have explained
to him that when he gets to be 50 plus years old, he may not like turning
wrenches 40 hours a week any more. I am twisting his arm to go to college
first. He is very intelligent and will do well whatever profession he
chooses. He traded a bicycle for a non-running 5hp Honda engine. He was
thrilled to have it running within an hour of getting it home. Instead of
him taking stuff apart and ME putting it back together correctly, he is
getting better about completing tasks like this with little input from me.

Rick Knoble
'85 300 CD
'87 190 DT