----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Cathey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> circuit.  The motor turns freely but it smells so much like burnt
>> wiring, I
>> doubt it will run very long if at all.
>
> Burnt smelling is bad news, usually.
>
>> Think I'll junk this A/C and get a
>> new one since the dual 7.5-35 mfd capacitors are scarce and pretty
>> expensive
>> on the internet.
>
> I don't believe there is anything electrically interesting about
> your dual cap, I think it was just two caps in one package, a
> money-saving measure.  You could replace them with separate
> units, if you could find the room for both.
>
>> Would like to use the compressor (with a 35 mfd cap?) as a vacuum pump
>> if
>> it's still good.  I would guess that the capacitor would be wired
>> between
>> two of the three terminals on the compressor, or would I be wrong?
>
> Most refrigeration compressors make poor vacuum pumps
> because they don't get lubricated.  Yorks are an exception
> because they have a traditional crankcase full of oil.
>
> Home AC units are also cooled by the refrigerant flow.
> With no flow, she's a-gonna get hot!  I don't recommend
> what you're doing, except as an experiment.
>
> -- Jim
---------------------------------
I'm sure you're right about the AC units which pump a lot more freon and
generate a lot more heat.  I've been using a compressor out of a half-size
office refrigerator to evacuate car AC systems for several years.  I bent
the pressure tubing straight up, cut a plastic bottle in half, put a lab
cork with an appropriate size hole in it, slid the cork down over the
pressure tubing, and slid it down just below the end of the pressure tubing.
When the compressor runs, it pumps droplets of oil out the pressure side
which collect in the cut-off bottle.  When I finish vacuuming a car, I slide
the cork-bottle up and the oil runs back down in the compressor.  You're
right, the compressor does get pretty hot but it still works okay; probably
because it doesn't generate as much heat as an AC compressor.
Think I'll just save the compressor and if the one I'm using goes bad I'll
try using it.  Guess it could be immersed in a water bath to get rid of the
heat.
Thanks,
Gerry