Hi, All, David & Allan.
The 260E ( 198Kmi.) M103.960, that was given to me with 5 cyl. is now running
smooth and quiet on all six and burns no oil (M1 15W50)
Problem was #6 cyl. had a burnt exh valve. Also found that both sets of guides
were very worn, all exh. valves had a groove around the sealing face, about 8
to 10 thou. Replaced. All of the valve stem oil seals were akin to cheap
plastic. The rear oil feed to the valve assy. was properly sealed, I checked
because it is a known leaker, either into the water or out the pass. rear of
the head.
Only real difficulty was getting the air intake support brackets back on.
(Grumble grumble, gettin' too old for this sh-tuff.)
YMMV
Fred Moir
But it's NOT a Diesel!

Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: David Bruckmann  writes:

> So what's the deal? Is the M103 a good machine (as good as the
> venerable M110), or am I just as well with an OM603.961?

I've heard it is.  Valve stem seals may be an issue. I don't have any
firsthand experience though.