I took a road trip last weekend to Long Island to meet a guy that
successfully replaced his W140 rodbender diesel engine (603) with one
from a 1998 E300 (606). So I'm heading back last night and have been
driving for 6 hours and pull into a rest area to take a nap and the
engine dies as I'm coasting down the exit ramp. I have just enough
momentum to coast into a parking spot. Turn off the car, wait a
minute. Turn it on and crank it. Engine turns over, does not start.
Repeat process with foot on the gas and it starts right up. Let up on
the gas and it dies. No lingering sputtering. It just stops dead. I'm
able to move into a secluded parking spot using both petals and take a
3-hour nap. It was maybe 52F outside. I wake up and have the exact
same symptoms. I forge ahead hoping not to run into construction
traffic. Once I get on the highway I realize I have to pee and as luck
would have it, I'm right at the Ohio border and pull into another rest
area 15 minutes later. Now when I let my foot off the gas, I'm idling
at ~400 rpm. Better... I turn off the car. Do my business. Come back
out and the the car starts right up (no petal) and acts normally with
an idle at ~600 rpm. Been fine ever since.

Any ideas?

Thanks

-Dave Walton