Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 22:56:02 -0700
From: "Zoltan Finks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] What constitutes harmful overheating? 87 190D
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com

I must say that I am very thankful that this breakdown has been on par
with about every one I have ever had in terms of fortuitousness.

I looked down and noticed several of the dummy lights glowing. I then
saw the engine temperature rising shockingly fast.

I threw it in neutral and shut it off as I coasted at around 45 - 50
mph down a long hill. Then started it again to get up a hill, and
watched the temp approach the 120 mark and the little red mark.

I may have been unwise, but I wanted to get it off the highway and to
a safe place.

By the time I shut the thing off and rolled to a stop, the gauge was
just about touching that top temp reading (120, right?). But I did not
let it run for any length of time at that temp.

So how bad is what I've done? I mean really, not idealistically.

I know that these engines are at least somewhat prone to head gasket
failures, aren't they? But I would imagine that like any engine, it
can take being badly overheated several times throughout its life.

Brian