Lots of people pulled cinder blocks out of the firepit to hold up cars too.
Those just crumble, the heat from the fire takes all the strength out of them.

-Curt

Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 01:14:27 -0400
From: "archer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 126 chassis front spring removal
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

>> without warning).  Then word got around that concrete blocks were
 safe
>> if
>> you put a piece of wood on top to distribute the load.  More people
 got
>> crushed.  Finally nearly everyone became convince that concrete
 blocks
>> were
>> too risky so they started using wood blocks.  This was before
>> jackstands
>> became cheap.
>
> Good concrete with a board on top would be fine.  Cinder blocks
> aren't what I'd call good concrete!  Wood is good stuff.
> -- Jim
------------------------------------
The problem seemed to be whether a person used "solid" concrete blocks
 such
as the 4" by 8" by 16" or those which were not solid such as the
 standard 8"
by 8" by 16" building blocks.  I used the solid blocks with a piece of
 3/4"
plywood on top with no problem, but always kept a jack under the diff
 or
crossmember just in case when I was under it.  Eventually I got around
cutting up some 2" by 12" boards which were lighter to handle and much
safer.
Gerry