Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 5W40 (aka Delvac One) would probably be ideal.
> I imagine 15W50 Mobil One would do fine too,
> surely down to -20C and probably down to -20F.
> You may want a block heater no matter what oil you
> use. 617s are not as easy to start cold as 602s or
> 603s.

OW-40 is also approved but the one time I tried it in my OM-617 I did
not like it.  Engine was noticably more "clattery".  Would probably be
the best choice for really extreme cold, though.  When I'm able to get
it, I run 15W-50 year round, or the "Turbo Truck" 5W-40 (Delvac-1),
though that is harder to find here.  I fall back to conventional
Delo-400 if I can't find anything else.

Allan
--
1983 300D