What you have just experienced is why Mercedes issued a TSB in the '90s
requiring that the extended length lugs (greater than 80 mm total
length) used on 107/126 models be replaced with "short" lugs (50-62 mm)
like those used on later 124/201s. Few shops except dealers (and hardly
all of them) ever informed their customers that this was a serious problem.

For 30+ years I have wiped the threads of the lugs with paraffin EVERY
time they were loosened and tightened. That has virtually eliminated
corrosion caused thread seizure. Whenever a shop tightens the lugs as
soon as I get home I loosen them, apply paraffin, and re-tighten to
spec. DO NOT ALLOW THE PARAFFIN TO TOUCH EITHER THE LUG OR WHEEL SEAT.
Haven't had a lug seize since I started using this technique. A long
extension is MUCH more likely to shear the lug that a rattle gun.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)