>> Could have gotten lots more life out of it
>> with a valve job and a clutch, but being a Vega, it wasn't worth the
>> investment.
>
> My cousin became the local Vega rescue lodge, without even trying. He
> purchased one for $500 (I am guessing it was 8 years old at the time),
> literally little old man drove it to church, original paint still
> shiny.
>
> A week later the man asked cuz if he thought the car was worth what
> he paid,
> cuz replied (politely) well no, Vegas are actually worth nothing
> for resale.
> So, so cuz's astonishment, the PO gave him back $400.
>
> Turns out the PO knew other Vega owners. Within a month two more
> appeared as
> donations in his driveway. He drove off those cars, with some input
> from the
> odd $50 parts car, for years.

I had two of 'em--one I bought for $250, a '75 hatch with a 4-speed
and a 2v carb. Not a bad car, especially--OK performance, 32 mpg, OK
handling, cheap as dirt to maintain. That one rusted out, of course.

Next one was the hi-mile '73 sedan. It was a real stripper. 3 speed
stick, 1v carb, the passenger's seat was bolted to the floor--no
adjustment at all! It was a southern car with a pristine body. Bought
that for $400, drove it 30 k miles, sold it for $125 with the bad
clutch and valves. That one had very little to recommend it, except
for being the absolute cheapest transportation option available at
the time.

Dan