I have not had problems getting seals in, like others said, use a large,
flat faced hammer (not a sledge because they are too hard to control)
and gently tap tap tap away. Don't rush it, you got all day. If you get
a few small dents in the seal it is not the end of the world but if
there are big dings then the seal may well be distorted. The main thing
is to make sure that the seal goes in straight, if it gets lopsided then
it will be very hard to move.
I would not recommend heat/cold because by the time you take the seal
out of the freezer and move it to the work area it will be at room
temperature again. Also in oder to gain any benefit from heat you will
have to apply a fair bit of heat (this is because the hub is designed
not to expand with moderate heat) and you will burn yourself.