I didn't recall that I had mentioned this before, but Magnum actually
died of Cardio Myopathy we are pretty sure. He was 8 1/2 years old, so
he didn't die that young really. He was in impeccable shape - not an
ounce of fat on him and as physically capable as he was at age three -
maybe lost just a touch of speed. Muscular, rock hard and strong. Just
had a bad ticker I supppose.

I have a Doberman from a well established Schutzhund kennel now. These
sport dogs regularly live to 11 or 13 which is long for the breed.
They are very driven. And despite not looking as majestic as some of
the show-bred American Dobes, they are stronger and much more capable.
Dax is deceptively strong for a 75 pounder.

Since breeding has been much more advisedy and selectively carried
out, disease is not as prevalent. Sometimes I wish he would drop dead
though - stubborn, demanding thing. I have taken a much more laid back
approach with Dax's training, and I am paying the price in
frustration.

Brian